Shaolin Chan City || Traditional Shaolin Culture

Amituofo in Shaolin Chan

« Older   Newer »
SCC.
view post Posted on 19/1/2010, 00:16

"Buddha means awareness, the awareness of body and mind that prevents evil from arising in either. And to invoke means to call to mind, to call constantly to mind the rules of discipline and to follow them with all your might." - Bodhidharma

Amituofo is a common phrase used in Shaolin and throughout Chinese Buddhist traditions, especially the Pure Land school (Chin.: jěngtǔzōng 净土宗) and the Chan school (Chin.: chánzōng 禅宗). The following article is an explanation of the meaning and unique usage of this phrase in the Shaolin Chan tradition.

Read full article....

Drew F.
view post Posted on 23/10/2010, 03:54

Le Fujun,

If I was not a practicing Buddhist and Amituofo did not carry the same weight for you as it would for me, how would I remind myself everyday to be still, be harmonious with nature, remove anxiety...etc? There are days were this concept is very clear to me, but many were acedia sets in and restlessness consumes my thoughts (feelings of not realizing my potential, unhappy with career, day-to-day family stress).

Any advise on how to remind myself of the concepts of Chan on a day by day basis would be helpful.

Thanks,
Drew F.

SCC.
view post Posted on 23/10/2010, 19:36

阿弥陀佛

阿弥陀佛容易念,
持之以恒终生难。
果真坚渝不颠倒,
紫金莲台在现前。

释德扬 著
2006年4月24日

Amituofo is easy to chant,
To persevere for a lifetime is difficult.
If one is truly resolute without confusion,
The purple-gold lotus seat appears before them.

-Ven. Shi Deyang
4/24/2006

This poem was written in appreciation to Ven. Shi Deyang's master, Shaolin Elder Ven. Shi Suxi, shortly after his passing on 3/8/2006. (The simple English translation is mine.)

In his commentary on this poem Ven. Shi Deyang speaks of his time following Ven. Suxi for over 20 years. Even through his aging and the advancement of his illness, Ven. Suxi was always busy with work into the late night. His work did not lessen at all, but only increased as he aged. This was the only way he could have had the success that he had in restoring Shaolin Culture in the world- by always striving to forge ahead.

Our practice is also like that. Amituofo is easy to chant. Ven. Shi Deyang says it doesn't matter what you chant. If you are Christian, you may chant Jesus Christ. Whatever your tradition may be, the only way to succeed is to persevere unremittingly.

If our practice is weak and irregular, as you say sometimes our minds will be clear, but other times not. So practice is very important. Only during practice can we strengthen our center. When our center becomes very strong then our weakness diminishes. It is the mind's habit to always be on the go, never sitting still. That's why we need to practice.

In Shaolin we have from seated meditation, to chanting, to even using our bodies to chant (Shaolin Wugong). All of this is making our center stronger. Then throughout our days it becomes increasingly more difficult to stray from our practice, since we have been cultured around it.

Honestly though, practice is easy, to persevere for a lifetime is difficult. Whatever your practice, it is important to keep it up. Just do it. If your practice is off and on, or if you have no regular practice, then you will forever be turned around by any situation.

All there is to say is; practice. Make your center stronger. Always keep an attitude of great effort. It's the only way.

:amituofo:

SCC

Edited by SCC. - 24/10/2010, 15:07

Drew F.
view post Posted on 24/10/2010, 21:20

SCC,

Thanks for the insight! I suppose this is the paradox, when I think of "practice" I find myself thinking big and getting myself consumed with never accomplishing anything. Rather think small...and the only way to fail is not starting or applying "great effort" as you say.

Amituofo x3

Drew F.

SCC.
view post Posted on 24/10/2010, 22:43

Just as my Shaolin brother Shi Xingmi has said;

"Don't think about doing great things,
Think about doing small things with great love."

May your practice go well.

:amituofo:

SCC

4 replies since 19/1/2010, 00:16   292 views